Building a shop with Laravel – tutorial series announcement
Dear readers of my blog!
I have a lot of exciting announcements that I will make next week right here on this blog. If you don’t know me, I post a lot about Laravel on this blog and I am actively participating in Laravel community by recommending Laravel to other PHP developers, by answering questions on Laravel forums and on Twitter (http://twitter.com/msurguy) and much more.
But meanwhile I want to write a few tutorials about building a fully functional shop using Laravel 4 PHP framework. In these tutorials I will explore the following practical topics of implementing Laravel in a shop, combining frontend and backend components:
- Implementing product reviews with star rating (published) – how is it done, what is an optimal DB structure, which frontend components can be used to simplify the user’s input of ratings. (I have posted a snippet on my Bootsnipp that shows the UI for this : http://bootsnipp.com/msurguy/snippets/PjPa)
- Implementing in-place AJAX pagination (published)
- Implementing fancy search feature called “smart search” (published)
- Implementing slider of featured items in a shop and most importantly – how to build and administration panel for the sliders that allows ordering of featured items. (see demo of the ordering in action : http://bootsnipp.com/msurguy/snippets/ObPO)
- Implementing “meta” information for shop items. Products usually can contain many different types of meta data and creating different DB tables for all of them is usually not a very efficient way to store that data, so an approach similar to WordPress will be taken to store the meta data for the shop products.
- Implementing the administration panel for the shop – managing products, filtering and sorting products and orders, etc.
- Possibly integrating shopping carts and payments.
The first detailed tutorial, “Implementing product reviews” is almost done and I will publish it very soon – make sure you follow me on Twitter to be the first to know when I make it live.
Let me know if this is interesting to you and if there are any other topics I should include in this series.
Looking forward to it –
A few things I would like to see in this tutorial:
• Versioning of products- As a customer if I come back to the shop after a product has been updated when I view my receipt I want to see the product as it was when I brought it.
• Product differentiation options – For example in my shop I might sell outdoor gear which means backpacks and Jackets – For the Jacket I want to be able to select a size and a colour, For the Backpack I want to be able to select the pattern.
• Shipping – Different products, different regions, different prices yeah? But what if I want to offer “spend over $200 and get 15% off shipping
• Specials – 20% off this product!
I love to see all these features…great work
Definitely. Hopefully this will even become a Laravel shop package.
Awesome ! Can’t wait.
Will you do a tut on integrating some kind of payment system?
Can’t wait for it! 🙂 Thank you very much
I can’t wait, I have been digging into laravel lately, coming from CodeIgniter and recently having done some tiny works with Slim, I need to create a little shopping cart for some little scripts I need to sell locally, and I want to build it with Laravel, following this tut will help me alot as I master my laravel and Jquery within the next few months, tnx.
E-commerce t-shirt Lokamisa has been developed with Laravel 4 for me
Check how woocommerce save it
Than you very much. 😀
Thast’s what I was searching for! . Joining the power of both.
Thanks Max, you’re becoming a legend!! ( in the Laravel world to be exact )